Saturday, September 16, 2017

Women in 1 Cor 11:2-16

THE BIBLE AND INTERPRETATION:
Women and Worship in Paul’s Churches: Apostles, Prophets, and Teachers

I have now lost count of the number of times that I have read the work of a scholar on the topic of women in Paul’s churches who tells me that they find it easy or hard to ‘imagine’ a particular scenario in the early church and thus to reconstruct a scenario that seems to the writer to be the most ‘plausible’ based on the evidence before us. I imagine that they are assuming that I too will find these scenarios easy to ‘imagine’ as well, but this is not always the case.

See Also: Women and Worship at Corinth (Cascade Books, 2015).

By Lucy Peppiatt
Principal
Westminster Theological Centre
Past posts dealing with 1 Corinthians 11, coming at the subject from a somewhat different angle, are here and here.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.